How to start a conversation with a stranger – In our world of instant messaging and making friends, chat apps have become a necessity. Chat apps are the new-age way of finding friends and hanging out with them virtually. These messaging apps enable people to send and receive instant text messages. They generally use internet connection networks to function.
one of the most commonly used and popular apps on smartphones. The most popular chat apps have billions of users all over the globe.
Chat App Features
Every chat app is different; however, they all provide some basic interesting features. Below a list of some of the most popular features often found in chat apps:
- For safety and privacy, all chat apps have a user login system. Users have to create a basic profile by entering their details and enjoy using the app.
- The chats in such apps are mostly end-to-end encrypted; the companies therefore cannot read the contents of the messages being exchanged.
- Most apps have a three-way communication feature, text, voice, and video calls.
- People can find strangers from anywhere on the globe and start a conversation.
- Strangers can share pictures and videos to get to know the other person better.
How to start a conversation with a stranger online?
Chat apps can be a daunting place for those people who do know how to initiate conversations. It is also a great place to brush up on your social skills. Users who are on chat apps often get nervous about approaching a person and starting a conversation.
We have compiled a list of ways for opening up a conversation with a stranger:
- Send them a compliment
Begin with a compliment about a picture they posted or an image they shared. It will show that someone has been paying attention to what they do on the app. Receiving a genuine compliment from someone can make someone’s day. It is also the best way to begin a great conversation.
- Ask them a question
The question can be about anything random or about somewhere they live. People like to tell others that they know things. This is a very smooth conversation opener with a stranger.
- Begin with an interesting trivia or information
Sharing an obscure piece of information is a good way to open a conversation. If they get interested in the knowledge shared, then a great ice breaker between strangers.
- Send a funny joke or a self-aware pickup line
Having a good sense of humor is always an attractive quality. A good joke that can make people laugh is the perfect conversation starter. However, one should remember to make sure that the joke is not offensive to anyone. It should also not make you sound like a creepy person.
- Tell them something random about yourself
Before asking someone about themselves, sharing information about you is better. It makes the other person feel comfortable since now they know something about the stranger that is messaging them.
- Be yourself
Being your true and authentic self is always a great idea. It helps in building trust and leads to a great conversation with strangers.
Popular chat apps
If you require a place to try out these great conversation starter hacks, below is a compilation of some of the highest-rated chat apps.
- WhatsApp – A free, multiplatform messaging app that lets you make video and voice calls, send text messages, and more — all with just a Wi-Fi connection. With over 2 billion active users, WhatsApp is especially popular among friends and family who live in different countries and want to stay in touch
- Facebook Messenger – A FREE mobile messaging app used for instant messaging, sharing photos, videos, audio recordings, and group chats. The app, free to download, used to communicate with your friends on Facebook and with your phone contacts.
- WeChat – A Chinese multi-purpose messaging, social media, and mobile payment app developed by Tencent. It was launched in 2011 and has since become the single most popular chat app in China.
- QQ – An instant messaging software service and web portal by Tencent. It offers services that provide online social games, music, shopping, microblogging, movies, and group and voice chat software.
- Telegram – A cross-platform, instant messaging app. It was launched in 2013 and has since been active. It provides end-to-end encrypted video calling, VoIP, file sharing, and several other features.
- Snapchat – A popular messaging app that lets users exchange pictures and videos (called snaps) that are meant to disappear after they’re viewed. It’s advertised as a “new type of camera” because the essential function is to take a picture or video, add filters, lenses, or other effects and share them with friends